Click Here

Help! My sl66 has locked up

The SL66 has it's own website: www.sl66.com. Made by your's only... 100% part of the RolleiClub but separate to visit. </br>A tribute to former RolleiClub and SL66 webmaster Mark Meijer.</br>
The users and visitors of www.SL66.com are invited to join this forum, so we keep all RolleiClub forum users in one place instead of spread over two separate forums.

Help! My sl66 has locked up

Postby Tim » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:16 pm

Hi guys, I'm in desperate need of some troubleshooting on my sl66. I'm not entirely sure of the model but I know it's an early one as the magazine doesn't have the magazine knob release.

Anyway, I think I must have incorrectly loaded some film (though I'm not quite sure how). I thought I loaded it properly but ended up turning the magazine knob for ages and ended up winding the whole roll of film through. As a result, I shot one shot, wound the crank but couldn't wind further as the film was through.

I ejected the film bit the film counter stayed on 2/12 shots and after attempting to run another roll of film through the crank just stays locked even after firing the shutter! I've tried everything I can think of from using the double exposure release to detaching the magazine and trying to wind anything but it just won't advance.

I'm fairly certain it's an issue with the magazine because the gear that connects to the main body of the camera refuses to move and so does the magazine knob. I would take it into a camera store in Tokyo (I'm holidaying in japan right now) but I'm staying in a little town that's quite special to me and I would be devastated if I couldn't capture it on my rollei.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Tim
New here

Re: Help! My sl66 has locked up

Postby JanBoettcher » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:22 am

You have the magazine seperated from the camera?
Taken out the film-holder / insert and closed the magazine?

Pull out the darkslide and turn the magazine's gear wheel (usually driven by the camera) in the direction given by the arrow (gentle force, gentle, but until it really stops) maybe with your thumb, maybe wearing a leather glove. Without film in it and when exerything is working nicely you should be able to turn the gear wheel abck and forth and see the film counter go from start to twelve ... and jump back when opening the magazine's back door.

Re-insert dark slide, cock camera (it should work well without the magazine) re-unite camera and magazine, pull dark slide, try again ...
JanBoettcher
Rolleiclub Senior Member

Postby Tim » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:30 pm

Thanks you so much! I must admit I got a little impatient and started dismantling the magazine and a couple of springs came loose and while I couldn't put them back in I took out another spring and long story short I can at least shoot!

And your piece of advice worked like a charm, though if I'd just waited from the start I wouldn't have messed up the magazine. Either way, thank you and I can shoot on it which is the important part. I may have to find a repair shop in Tokyo to put those springs back in though...

Thanks again!
Tim
New here

Postby JanBoettcher » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:34 pm

Let's just hope you don't shoot all pics on one frame ;-)
JanBoettcher
Rolleiclub Senior Member

Return to SL66