Click Here

Partially Locked up SL66 Film Back

The SL66 has it's own website: www.sl66.com. Made by your's only... 100% part of the RolleiClub but separate to visit. </br>A tribute to former RolleiClub and SL66 webmaster Mark Meijer.</br>
The users and visitors of www.SL66.com are invited to join this forum, so we keep all RolleiClub forum users in one place instead of spread over two separate forums.

Partially Locked up SL66 Film Back

Postby Tim » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:26 am

Hi!

So I bought a new film back on ebay for my SL66 which claimed it was working fine. Upon mounting it for a few test cycles, I found the film advance gear (the one that connects to the camera) completely locked up. After some fiddling, though I can't quite remember what I did, it became unlocked although only partially. Basically, when I fire the shutter, the initial crank turn will only make it a few degrees before locking, so it seems to me there's some mechanical function of the back preventing me from advancing the film.

However, if I pull the double exposure lever on the crank and release it after the initial clockwise motion, the crank winds back into the ready position just fine. As far as I'm aware, this cannot happen unless the film advance gear turns in the opposite direction though without affecting the film advance. Basically this leads me to believe there is some gear in the film back between that gear and the initial film loading crank (which works fine) preventing film advance.

Is there an easy fix to this? I've tried everything I can think of because above all I just want a working film back, rather than having to send it back to the seller and buy a new one. He said it worked when he tried it and it doesn't feel like it's a mechanical fault, more that some natural mechanical function of the back has locked it up.

Thanks in advance!
Tim
New here

Re: Partially Locked up SL66 Film Back

Postby Tim » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:13 am

So I may have figured out what the issue is, I just don't know how to fix it. Basically I don't tension my shutter until I'm about to take a photograph, I think I may have taken my previous back off without the shutter tensioned because now it too has apparently 'locked'. This now leads me to believe that there's not a problem with the back but I just need to figure out what to do with the camera to 'unlock' both the backs and advance the film.

After a lot of fiddling I still can't figure out what this is and cannot figure out how to advance the film.
Tim
New here

Re: Partially Locked up SL66 Film Back

Postby JanBoettcher » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:17 am

As long as your SL 66 is up to spec, you may only detach (and mount) the the film back when the camera is cocked and the dark slide is in place ...
JanBoettcher
Rolleiclub Senior Member

Return to SL66