Click Here

Rolllei 35 MADE IN GERMANY OR MADE IN SINGAPORE?

The SL66 has it's own website: www.sl66.com. Made by your's only... 100% part of the RolleiClub but separate to visit. </br>A tribute to former RolleiClub and SL66 webmaster Mark Meijer.</br>
The users and visitors of www.SL66.com are invited to join this forum, so we keep all RolleiClub forum users in one place instead of spread over two separate forums.

Rolllei 35 MADE IN GERMANY OR MADE IN SINGAPORE?

Postby sl66alonso » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:15 pm

HI EVERY ROLLEI FAN,
I'd like to know if anyone could be so kind to tell me the main differences between a Rollei 35 Made in Germany or made in Singapour. I've heared everything, German is better built, Tessar is better for black and white, quality in general is a little worse in Singapour... I don't know.
I'm not a collector, I want to use this camera at all.
I see that the Germans are more expensive, why?
I see Black ones are more expensive, why?.
I just wanna buy one of these little marvels just because i can't carry with my sl66 with me everywhere and becuase I wish to have one of this R'35 since some yearas ago, now i'm determined to get one!
Thank you so much for your help
sl66alonso
Respected member

Postby JanBoettcher » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:55 am

Hi,
the main difference between the two cameras is the engraving.

Personally I like the 35 S with Sonnar lens more ...

Best,
Jan
JanBoettcher
Rolleiclub Senior Member

Postby sl66alonso » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:04 am

Hi, thank you for your anwser. But after all, after reading so many opinions in several forums I thought that german R'35s are more valuable than from Singapore. Germans are more expensive that from Singapore, SO I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY THEY HAVE TO BE THE SAME.
I knowthat german ones use Tessar and Singapore Sonnar, Tessar better for black and white ans Sonnar for color, but Sonnar 1 stop more 2,8
Anyway, do you find it's worth it to buy one of these small manual wonderfull cameras to use it?, maybe it's too slow for pics in a birthday for example, maybe i'll need a small digital
anyway i know this R'35 is top quality but for manual photography i think that my SL66 is a good machine for me, if not the best.
I saw your site and i see you have amazing things and I know you are respectible here in this Rollei site. Let me ask you about the meter finder for the SL66, is it really necessary if you use a hand lightmeter? I mean that meter finder looks heavy and i wonder if it's worth it to get one of them.
Thank you for you attention,
greetings,

Fidel
sl66alonso
Respected member

Postby JanBoettcher » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:11 am

Hi Fidel,
thanks for the praise ;-)

The Rollei 35:
The world of collectors is full of fools ;-) technically speaking the engraving is the only difference. I bet: Nobody, not even Carl Zeiss himself could tell any difference between pics taken with a Tessar 3,5/40 made by Zeiss or Rollei (Singapore) - OK, maybe with the one exception, that Made in Germany cameras below serial number 3082000 don't have the UV-absorbing lens cement and may perform less well when lots of UV is present. But "Made in Germany" is connected to a different "feel" than "Made in Singapore".
The 35 S's Sonnar is half a stop faster and has the much famed HFT coating ... in my personal use (color slides) it just outperforms any other compact 35mm camera in my arsenal (plus a few borrowed cameras).
Compared to most digital cameras (I know) you will love the very short delay betwen pressing the shutter release and hearing it click! The Rollei 35 just fires instantly. OK, film advance, focus and f-stop&shutter adjustment takes more time, but when everything is set, the camera is darn fast. No hesitating "thinking" electronics, no autofocus moving around.

Is it worth owning a Rollei 35? Yes. Just avoid the B, C and LED as your first.
Is it worth owning a digital compact camera (too)? Yes. It is way faster for publishing snaps via the internet - but Grandma & Grandpa will love to get prints!

Rollei 35 buyind advice: Get one with clean optics, good mechanics, working meter and with dented corners, so you don't have to worry so much about the first scratch. The rest "plain", T, TE, S, SE, ... black or chrome is mostly a matter of taste - and as long as you have the 3,5 and the guy next to you the bigger 2,8 you will have the desire to get one too ... so get the "S" with the 2,8 right in the first place ;-)

The SL 66 metering hood:
In case you do a lot of close-ups with long bellows extension, it may be an advantage to use it. Otherwise any good handheld meter should do.

Best,
Jan
JanBoettcher
Rolleiclub Senior Member

Postby sl66alonso » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:33 am

Hallo Jan,
thanks so much for your golden information. I feel lucky knowing that I can share my passion for Rollei with someone ready to share such good knowledge.
The thing is that I'm 35 years old and for me it's not so easy to talk with someone about Rollei in general. All my friends say I'm crazy hehe but I just think I have a treasure.
I'll think about a R'35, maybe a pocket digital cam can wait. I want to manage a R'35. Good info I get from you, thanks.
About the meter finder... I have a bellows system, maybe soon I'll start to make close ups but perhaps not very frecuentlt, I don't know. But I'm starting to study about infrared photograpy and I'm mad to take infrared pics with my SL66 and an infrared filter for it. extreme light landscapes like sunsets could be good measured with this meter finder on??. But infrared photography could be my main excuse to get a meter finder for the dark red filter... what do you think?.
Thank you very much for that information, really:)
Best regards,

Fidel
sl66alonso
Respected member

Postby JanBoettcher » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:54 am

Hi Fidel,
you are not alone.

I think the bellows is the better excuse for buying the metered hood ;-)

My last "near infrared SL 66 experience" is several years old and it was just Ilford SFX with an orange filter.

Best,
Jan
JanBoettcher
Rolleiclub Senior Member

Postby sl66alonso » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:36 am

Hi Jan,
bellows? i should start to learn how it works:)
but infrared photography... the more i read, the more i wanna know.
orange filter? i thought dark red was the suitable for black and white.

i've read that a daylight meter gets crazy with a dark red filter, so in a SL66... is the meter finder useful to measure the light or i have to try several expositions?. this is not clear for me now. the urgent reason to know this , is because that meter finder will be sold out in few days and i want to know if it works with a dark red filter, or if it's worth it enough to get it, not just for the bellows work.

Jan, sorry if i disturb you, i hope not. i just find your answers so helpful. much respect. hopefully i could help you with some rollei questions:)
best regards,

fidel
sl66alonso
Respected member

Postby JanBoettcher » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:29 am

Hi Fidel,,
this is not "bothering". But I can't help with the IR-issue. The SFX and orange is just close to IR, not real IR.

If the metering hood is any good for your ideas (and the dark red filter), sorry, I don't know. Just don't burn way too much money (stay below 150,-Euro) on the metering hood and give it a try.

Best,
Jan
JanBoettcher
Rolleiclub Senior Member

Return to SL66