Click Here

ZEISS 120-S 5,6 PLANNAR... QUALITY

The SL66 has it's own website: www.sl66.com. Made by your's only... 100% part of the RolleiClub but separate to visit. </br>A tribute to former RolleiClub and SL66 webmaster Mark Meijer.</br>
The users and visitors of www.SL66.com are invited to join this forum, so we keep all RolleiClub forum users in one place instead of spread over two separate forums.

ZEISS 120-S 5,6 PLANNAR... QUALITY

Postby sl66alonso » Sun May 02, 2010 10:40 pm

hi everyone, i'd like to find someone who can tell me objectively if it's worth it to buy a Zeiss- S 5,6 plannar. I know there is at least a more modern version of it, f4, is it better?.
As I already have a 80 mm plannar and a 150 mm sonnar, I'd like to know if this 120-S plannar is worth it to be bought because I see that at least MAYBE sharpness and contrast are not so good as in the f4 version, maybe like in the 80mm plannar or 150mm plannar?
thanks to all of you
sl66alonso
Respected member

Postby slixtiesix » Sat May 15, 2010 5:43 am

The S-Planar is quite a good lens. It ist very sharp and contrasty and has practically no distortion. People often claim that it is actually better than the later 120/4!
Nethertheless, it is optimised for larger magnification ratio, that means macro work. It gives exceptional quality for smaller objects, but it is less good at infinity, unless you stop it down. This was my first lens for the SL66 and I used it quite a bit. One drawback is that it is only f5,6, thus focussing can be a little bit difficult because of the dimmer screen and relatively deep DOF. For what do you intend to use it? I do not have the 150/4 lens, but I doubt that I would have a need to buy the S-Planar if I already had the 80mm and the 150mm.
Good lens nonetheless, I like the focal length.
slixtiesix
Respected member

Return to SL66