Click Here

buying advice

In this forum you , the user , may be asked for assistance from time to time.

buying advice

Postby LVL » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:30 pm

I got my eye on this camera:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/281411293029?_tr ... EBIDX%3AIT

I know some would say I am crazy. And of course it is a huge amount for a 54 year old camera.
But if it is technically as good as it looks I might just buy it.
I am especially curious about the condition of the light meter.
Is it still in good working order?

Some may say that I should look at a GX of FX instead, but I definitely like the old Rolleiflexes a lot more.

Does anyone have experience with the Leica Shop in Vienna?
Are they trustworthy? Should I expect any surprises?

Love to hear some opinions about this…
LVL
LVL
Respected member

Re: buying advice

Postby DPurdy » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:53 am

That is definitely a beautiful camera. Looking at the seller's feedback it seems like they carry very high quality stuff and get very positive response. People are saying the shipping was fast and everything beautiful or perfect and it looks like all the buyers are very happy.
It is a little more money than you would hope to pay by maybe a couple hundred. I think it would be very hard to find a FX or GX for that amount of money though. If you buy that camera I am thinking probably you will have a really nice camera.
In my experience, the meters usually work fine in a good original condition camera. However at their best an old style Rollei meter is not a great meter. The reading can be affected a lot by the sky.
Dennis
DPurdy
Rolleiclub Senior Member

Re: buying advice

Postby LVL » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:58 am

Thanks Dennis.
Yes it is a very beautiful camera. And it should be at that price!

I already own a 2.8f Planar since a year in good shape. And I love that camera.
Shooting a lot of rolls of TriXPan, the results start to improve and I plan on using it a lot more in the future.

My camera looks used but still really very good, with one flaw: there is some damage to the bottom corners of the camera back.
Obviously it has been dropped in it's long life and than repaired by a professional. The back closes smoothly but the marks are there.

More important for actual use is the fact that it's light meter is quite a bit off. In good (day)light it works and is accurate.
But as soon as it gets dim, or indoors it is more than two stops over. I know all Rolleiflex meters not very precise, but this one is really way off!
And that makes using the Rolleiflex less fun and even more confusing (having been spoiled by modern camera technology).
That's why I am looking for a camera in better condition than the one I own. Most important a camera with a better light meter.

My thinking was that I could either spend weeks or months looking for an even better camera and maybe ending up with a camera just like the one I have now (reasonable price but with some flaw) or bite the bullet and pay a lot more for a camera that has it all.
But does it? Only way to find it is to buy it and test it. I can send it back within 14 days.

At the same time I know I must have totally lost my mind for even considering such a purchase, while I already am so happy with my 2.8f Planar. :wink:
LVL
LVL
Respected member

Return to User help