Click Here

Identifying a Rolleiflex TLR

Discuss all you like about the Rolleiflex TLR and Rolleicord TLR

Identifying a Rolleiflex TLR

Postby Flyboy2112 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:08 pm

Greetings all,
I have a Rolleiflex (TLR I THINK) and am having trouble identifying the exact model based on the serial number. After endless hours of scouring the internet for answers I have found this forum.

First of all I want to make sure I am posting in the correct one! I guess time will tell. If this is NOT the correct forum I apologize and would appreciate info to a more suitable forum.

This was my fathers camera which I have lovingly restored and would perhaps like to sell some day to a good home but in the mean time I need to identify it. On your Rolleiclub website I found the catalog of serial numbers which lists all the Rollei serial numbers and associates them with models. The list makes perfect sense until it comes to my particular serial number. For my serial number this website lists several different models which really makes no sense to me, but I am sure it does to you. At least I am hoping so anyway. Here is some info:

Serial Number: 1465692
Above that it reads on the left side "DBP" and on the right side "DBGM"

Here is an excerpt from your website:
1.400.000 1.475.405 Rolleiflex 2,8 C Rolleiflex 2.8C Rolleiflex 2.8C (type 2)
1.401.000 1.427.999 Rolleiflex 3,5 A Automat Rolleiflex Model 4 Rolleiflex MX (type 2)
1.428.000 1.499.999 Rolleiflex 3,5 B Rolleiflex 3.5 MX-EVS 3.5 Rolleiflex MX-EVS (type 1)

It seemed like every other listing logically went from one number, sequentially to the next except for what is shown above.
1465692 could be part of the first line or the third line. I am sure I am reading something wrong here.
There are no periods in my serial number. I have to assume that my camera, based on the serial number must be the one on the third line which might make it a 3,5B, OR 3.5 MX-EVS OR 3.5 MX-EVS (type 1), to be perfectly honest, none of this makes much sense to me.

After I positively ID the camera I wanted to try and find a new mirrored lens cap for it since the one it has does have a few scratches on it and some of the ones I have seen for sale look very nice and new. I just don't want to get the wrong one.

Any help whatsoever would be so greatly appreciated. I am honored to be in the midst of such knowledgeable folks as yourselves.

Thank you ahead of time!

Regards,

Flyboy
Flyboy2112
New here

Re: Identifying a Rolleiflex TLR

Postby rolleiclubleader » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:12 pm

Unfortunately the serial numbers as used by Rollei are not always as reliable. For marketing reasons the company ( Franke Heidecke ) not rarely manipulated those numbers to .... increase sales or so. It still baffles many of us but it happened.
Besides of that : the old archives are no longer in existence.

There are not that many fitting variations for the lens cap though. Look around at eBay , please use the link in sidebar of this web site as it goes straight to all Rolleiflex listings and communicate with seller about diameter / bayonet.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke
rolleiclubleader
Site Admin

Postby Flyboy2112 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:06 pm

Thank you for the information, however, I am still very much interested in attempting to determine the type of Rolleiflex camera I have. Do you have any ideas? Did the pictures I tried to post get posted?
Flyboy2112
New here

Postby rolleiclubleader » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:05 pm

Unfortunately no Images.
Please note that uploading images and then showing them in a topic are two different steps after each other.
You may have uploaded but not activated in your post.
Jacob
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke
rolleiclubleader
Site Admin

Return to Rollei TLR