Click Here

Serial # confirmation on Rolleiflex, Model 2 or 3...?

Discuss all you like about the Rolleiflex TLR and Rolleicord TLR

Serial # confirmation on Rolleiflex, Model 2 or 3...?

Postby Kris_H_97 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:53 am

Got some conflicting data between this sites serial number database and some multiple websites online. Here's what Rolleiclub states...

Rolleiflex Automat 6x6 - Model 2 = K4B
April 1939 - October 1945
Serials: 805.000 - 1.050.000 (some shared with Rolleiflex Standard New).
Model 3 = K4B2
October 1945 - September 1949
Serials: 1.050.000 - 1.099.999

Other sites are showing that for this particular serial ( # 1085881 ) that it's a type 2. Unless I'm misreading something Rolleiclub says its a type 3. Any actual confirmation I can get on this? Thanks!
Kris_H_97
Serious member

Re: Serial # confirmation on Rolleiflex, Model 2 or 3...?

Postby JanBoettcher » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:23 pm

I'm torn between ignorance ("who knows?") and apathy ("who cares?") (*).

What does your camera look like?

Just forget about all this serial number obsession!
I wish Jaap would just delete the serial number stuff in the lisiting, it is like a lamp in the harbor (giving guidance to some and giving a pole to cling to for the drunk).

Above all: What is the good of knowing you own a model 2 or 3? In case you intend to use it, the features will decide, in case you are collecting you will have to hunt "the other one" and you can't rely on (more or less well informed) sellers' declarations, you will always have to compare the cameras and their features.

(*): That's a lie, the truth is: I'm not torn, I'm sick and tired of this serial number monkey business.
JanBoettcher
Rolleiclub Senior Member

Postby Kris_H_97 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:36 pm

Mostly just for particulars' sake.
Kris_H_97
Serious member

Postby Eddie Vaughan » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:58 pm

I always smile with delighted anticipation when someone posts a question about Rolleiflex serial numbers. I know how Jan reacts to them, so I wait to see how long it will take him to reply and "do his block", as we say in Australia. I have almost been tempted to post such a question myself, just to stir him up and see if he sets a new reaction time record. There is no point doing this now. Jan would rightly suspect that I am just trying to provoke him and so refrain from answering.

Eddie Vaughan
Eddie Vaughan
Rolleiclub Senior Member

Postby Eddie Vaughan » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:46 pm

In fairness to Kris_H_97, the International Rollei Club does make strong claims about the comprehensiveness of its Rollei TLR descriptions. Its Home Page declares that it offers "an unsurpassed data base" for identifying and cataloguing Rollei TLRs. It includes serial numbers, model designations, production periods, and complete technical details of every Rollei TLR ever produced. While I would not go so far as to say that the Rollei Club exhibits a "serial number obsession", it certainly does illustrate in its claims and its data base an exacting attention to detail. It does so, it says, "with some pride".

While I side with Jan in feeling little interest in discussions about this type of detail, I think it fair for contributors to this forum to ask questions about model designations and serial numbers because the Rollei Club has emphasized the value of this information when promoting itself and its data base. I am not saying this to provoke a further reaction from Jan -- I don't want to make him feel any more sick and tired than he feels already -- although I would be interested in his thoughts on the Rollei Club's devotion to detail. Is there good reason for it?

Eddie Vaughan
Eddie Vaughan
Rolleiclub Senior Member

Postby JanBoettcher » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:25 pm

Eddie,
I do like details.

Naturally the Club could start a clarification between model designations (Parker, Evas, Prochnow, ...) and build up a data base with all serial numbers there could possibly exist and anybody sighting a Rollei with legible serial number shoul note the spotting of this camera and all its features in the data base. That could be a nice "data cemetery".

It would be total fun to maintain the data base, and in case anybody finds an offer for a Rolleiflex with the seller just showing the serial number and not the camera('s details) one could look up the number in the table, judge from previous sightings or numbers just left and right, buy the camera, receive and unpack it and be more or less surprised how well the actual camera meets the guessed specification. But one could hardly complain if anything is not up to the expectation.

Even more fun would be to know the owner of a camera with a serial number representing my birthday.

I remember in the olden days (before "internet", compuserve just getting up) Ian Parker's Jersey based Rollei Club had a fairly nice club-magazine (I joined the club for a year when visiting Jersey), over several issues (at least to my memory it was more than just one) two experts were quarreling who's 2,8E3 (or was it an E2?) with large or small lower spool knob would represent the less common variant (a good reason, not to renew membership - in case you know how to swap spool knobs without defacing them or the tiny screws).

The serial number is just a jump to a conclusion, but in case somebody is sellng #88888888 or #666666 do let me know!

Jan
JanBoettcher
Rolleiclub Senior Member

Postby Eddie Vaughan » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:03 pm

I enjoyed your reply, Jan. It gave me a good laugh. Your genius idea of a "data cemetery" offers -- dare I say it? -- a final solution for problems concerning Rollei serial numbers and model identification. My only fear is that some might take it seriously and ask for your help to get it started!

Eddie Vaughan
Eddie Vaughan
Rolleiclub Senior Member

Return to Rollei TLR