Click Here

does the 12/24 siwtch really add any value to the camera?

Discuss all you like about the Rolleiflex TLR and Rolleicord TLR

does the 12/24 siwtch really add any value to the camera?

Postby Ericvm » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:43 pm

As I mentioned before I am in the process of restoring a Rolleiflex Wide Model 2 (the one were only 404 were made).
I have come accross a mint, never used, original, new-old stock side panel with the 12/24 switch, and its not cheap! However, I know these are very rare so my question is:
Is it worth for the value of the camera to put on this side panel or it will not really make the camera any more "special" than it already is? I know some people had them ordered and built into thier cameras in the 60´s, but is the upgrade worth doing now?

Many thanks
Ericvm
Serious member

Re: does the 12/24 siwtch really add any value to the camera

Postby DPurdy » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:48 am

A matter of opinion I guess if you are talking about the value to you in using 220 or the value to a collector. I think there are still some people out there who want the camera "with all the bells and whistles". They would be willing to pay some amount more.
I am a bit curious if you have the parts as well to make the 220 switch work or if you have only the side panel with the switch on it. If the switch didn't work then of course it would be less than worthless.
Assuming it will be functional when you put it on I guess it depends on how much you have to pay for it and how much better the NOS side is than your original side.

If you are restoring the camera for collectors interest, for a show piece, then the functional 12/24 switch is better than not.
If you are restoring the camera for your own use as a photographer then It is only useful if you shoot color 220 film or C41 B&W.

I had Harry Fleenor install the 12/24 switch and re build the transport in my 2.8F because at that time I could still get a few types of b&w film in 220 and because I sometimes used my camera for weddings with 220 color. However as it is now with my not doing weddings and there being no more 220 b&w film it is a waste on my camera. I would love it if Ilford would re introduce Fp4 or Hp5 in 220 but it isn't ever going to happen.
Dennis
DPurdy
Rolleiclub Senior Member

Postby DPurdy » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:20 am

Also, If you do want to restore the camera with all the bells and whistles then you also want to have the hump back and the optical glass to fit inside. I did see a NOS hump back recently on ebay. You need to get the version with the larger latch on the bottom.
Dennis
DPurdy
Rolleiclub Senior Member

Postby Ericvm » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:40 am

Hi Dennis, and thanks for your answer. I did find only the panel with the switch but Harry Fleenor does have the rest so he can make it work.
I actually do have the glass and the hunchback , and was lucky enough to find the panel (and Harry!). The whole operation will not be cheap coming to around $500 (!!!) and considering there is no B&W 220 film any longer and God knows how long the one in color will be around, its purely for show purposes. The camera itself right now is a 10/10. Its very very clean so I dont know if I should mess with it.....then again maybe I should take it the extra mile...alot of $$$$ though!
Thanks again for your opinión
Eric
Ericvm
Serious member

Return to Rollei TLR