Click Here

Rolleiflex 2.8a type 2 or automat type 4 mx

Discuss all you like about the Rolleiflex TLR and Rolleicord TLR

Rolleiflex 2.8a type 2 or automat type 4 mx

Postby Chris keen » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:08 am

Hello everyone!
I am a new rolleiflex collector, I have just purchased a new rolleiflex and I am having some difficulties determining the exact model as I am getting conflicting information. My ability to repair a rollei far exceeds my rollei knowledge. I am a tinkerer and have a real mechanical inclination which has led me to start collecting rollei's and rangefinders. My newest acquisition is a rolleiflex serial number 1202362, when looking at only serial numbers it find it's a 2.8a type 2, but since it has a schneider 3.5/75, this information leads me to believe it is an automat type 4 mx. The problem lies in the fact that the automat 4 mx has T setting and I believe B and timer settings are supposed to be in green such as is the case on my 3.5 zeiss rollei. The one in question does not have a T setting and B setting is red and no other Bulb settings are present. I am not looking for value but rather I just want to identify the exact type, I know that there are some hybrids but was the 2.8a type 2 ever offered without the zeiss 80 lens? Any help in this case would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Chris
Chris keen
New here

Re: Rolleiflex 2.8a type 2 or automat type 4 mx

Postby JanBoettcher » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:39 am

Gosh, how I dislike this serial number business ...

Take a look at the camera's features, and compare to the pics http://www.rolleiclub.com/cameras/tlr/i ... _TLR.shtml
JanBoettcher
Rolleiclub Senior Member

Re: Rolleiflex 2.8a type 2 or automat type 4 mx

Postby Chris keen » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:18 am

Thanks for the response!
I have checked this rollei forwards and backwards and it's still a mystery! I am traveling to the Dry Tortugas in two weeks and I'm bringing along a couple of my rolleis, including this one. I will post pics of the camera and what it's capable of upon return! I am going to send this one out to Dan Goldberg to have him put in the new viewfinder, I already have done a complete tear down and performed a CLA so it works like a champ but I would like to have a brighter viewfinder, should have thought about that when I had it completely disassembled. :shock:

Cheers
Chris
Chris keen
New here

Return to Rollei TLR