Click Here

UV filter needed?

Discuss all you like about the Rolleiflex TLR and Rolleicord TLR

UV filter needed?

Postby LVL » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:07 am

Dear fellow-members,
When shooting outside, is it necessary to use a good quality UV filter on my 2.8f Planar?
Off course it's an extra bit of protection for the front element of the taking lens.
But will it improve my pictures?
And if so, would you recommend using a modern multi coated Heliopan or B+W filter instead of an original Rollei filter from the sixties?

Thanks for your time answering my question.
Regards!
LVL
LVL
Respected member

Re: UV filter needed?

Postby DPurdy » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:54 pm

A UV filter, or UV haze filter, filters out some of the Ultra violet light that makes distant things look hazy. So if you are in the habit of shooting landscape with distant objects or mountains it will be a bit more clear with a UV filter. For shooting closer range or details it will do nothing for you. On the other hand it won't hurt anything to have it on and it will put a protective lens between your nice Planar front element and the world. There is a chance it might increase flare a bit if it is dirty or scratched up. I keep one on most the time especially if I am at the beach or if it is raining when I am shooting. If it is clean and clear you will never notice any loss of optical quality using it. The old ones in good shape are just as good as the new ones.
Anyway that is my opinion.
Dennis
DPurdy
Rolleiclub Senior Member

Postby LVL » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:33 am

Thanks Dennis for your reply.
I came across this UV filter on ebay.de.
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Rollei-UV-Filter ... 27daf25999

It seems to be just what I want. But there is one thing that puzzles me. On many original Rollei UV filters it states the exposure value correction (like -0,5).
But not on this one. Does this mean that this filter does not needs exposure value correction? Or did Rollei simply stop this useful practice?
LVL
Respected member

Postby JanBoettcher » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:43 am

The price is outrageous XXL!
JanBoettcher
Rolleiclub Senior Member

Postby DPurdy » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:43 am

I agree it is a bit expensive though who knows how long you have to keep watching for a significantly cheaper one.
A UV filter should not require exposure compensation. If it is a pale amber or yellow instead of UV it might require a little.
Dennis
DPurdy
Rolleiclub Senior Member

Postby Vics » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:49 am

I'll be the contrarian view. I don't believe it's necessary to protect your lens with a filter, and I do think it can increase the chance and amount of flare. The lens is protected enough by the lens hood, which should always be on thye camera to prevent flare. I'd use my UV filter at elevations above 1800 meters, or at the seashore. Anywhere there's a lot of UV about.
Vic
Vics
New here

Postby LVL » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:10 am

Yes, it is expensive. But a new multicoated one from Heliopan is not really cheap either! That will cost you between 44 and 55 euros.

And yes, also in my experience UV filters don't require exposure compensation. But the older ones from Rollei do need -0.5 as stated on the filter rim.
And for a period Rollei made UV filters that have -0 on the rim (the one that I like best). And then there are those that don't have any number at all on the rim.
To me this all is a little confusing. I don't know anymore which one to get. I know I am hair-splitting here… But hey: where else can I talk about these things?
Regards!
LVL
Respected member

Postby LVL » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:07 am

dear Mr. Jan Boettcher, I hope you don't mind me asking this…
You don't happen to have such a Rollei UV filter lying around (bay III), that you wouldn't mind selling to a novice like me?
Regards, LVL
LVL
Respected member

Postby Eddie Vaughan » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:20 am

I am of the same opinion as Vic (March 11, 2014). I don't use lens filters solely or mainly for the purpose of protecting a lens. There is a lot of argument about the wisdom of using a UV or other lens filter mainly for this purpose, with many claiming that lens protection must be balanced against the risk of flare that is created by adding an extra glass surface, and also balanced against the possible sacrifice of lens resolving power. I am not really influenced by either opinion, I should add. I do use filters, but only when I want to produce the enhancing effects for which they are intended. Most commonly, I use a yellow or red filter when shooting black and white film in order to darken blue skies and increase contrast.
Eddie Vaughan
Rolleiclub Senior Member

Postby JanBoettcher » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:26 pm

On my 2,8GX I usually have the R1,5 (skylight) filter and the rubber (collapsing) shade (and the soft ERC). (the other TLRs don't see frequent use, so usually the go naked)

Will it degrade my picture quality? Maybe resolution may suffer in the second digit behind the decinal point, but who would notice that in my pics?
Do I like the warmer colors? Yes, I do.
Does it protect my Planar's front lens? Yes, especially from being cleaned too often ;-)

Any advice from my side? Yes, as a Rolleiflex 2,8F owner/shooter I'd get a clear UV filter (and shade) and keep it on the lens. It is way cheaper (and easier) to be replaced than the Planar or its front lens.
JanBoettcher
Rolleiclub Senior Member

Return to Rollei TLR