Click Here

Automat?

Discuss all you like about the Rolleiflex TLR and Rolleicord TLR

Automat?

Postby raj » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:19 am

Hey folks,

First time posting here! I recently came across a Rolleiflex that I'm considering buying. Here are some photos:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/818 ... G_1841.JPG

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/818 ... G_1842.JPG

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/818 ... G_1843.JPG

From my research on this forum, this seems to be an Rolleiflex Automat 6x6 - Model K4A.

I have a few questions that I'm hoping you all can help with.

- Did I identify it correctly?
- They're asking for $250, is that about the right price? (I did put two rolls through it, and it seems to work great)
- What is the disadvantage of an Automat vs the "letter models?" Are they just newer?
- Is it worth saving up for a letter model?

I'm sure I'll have more questions soon, but I'd really appreciate all the help on these!
raj
Serious member

Re: Automat?

Postby raj » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:29 am

raj
Serious member

Postby DPurdy » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:56 am

Personally I think the Automat like you have found is the best deal in Rolleis. If it works great, that is the main thing.
Looking at the first picture of the beautiful Dolores sitting in the park I see you have a bit of a flare problem.
You should open the camera up and hold the lens open in B and look through the lens from the backside and see if it is hazy.
A little haze is not so bad but a lot of haze would need service for cleaning the lens.
You could get a lens shade that would help with the flare quite a lot.
The older Tessar lenses are not the best lenses that Rollei used but they are nearly as good as the best and they are good enough.
Otherwise the advantage of getting a newer model is perhaps getting a working meter and getting a model that had interchangeable
hoods so you can put a prism on. Most people don't use the prism anyway.
If this camera works great my advice would be to spend the 250 and take lots of photos of Dolores and if you find that you fall in love with the camera
you can save money for an upgrade when you wear it out. At that price of 250 you are not making a bad investment. You can always resell it and get your money back.
Dennis
DPurdy
Rolleiclub Senior Member

Postby Vics » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:32 am

Your Automat is just like mine except I have the Xenar lens. I had two Rolleis, the other was a 3.5F. I sold the 3.5F because I didn't use it for two reasons. It was too heavy, and I liked the way the Xenar draws the image better than the Xenotar. I know the latter is a matter of taste. I agree with Dennis that the Automat is the best Rollei value out there. Welcome to the Rollei life! Vic
Vics
New here

Return to Rollei TLR