Click Here

Rolleiflex Accessories - Help!

Discuss all you like about the Rolleiflex TLR and Rolleicord TLR

Rolleiflex Accessories - Help!

Postby jacobt » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:51 am

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the Rolleiflex world and trying to figure out how to properly protect my Rolleiflex. I've looked at some of the old leather cases, but they are expensive and often look worn down. Are there any companies producing new cases for the Rolleis? How do you like to travel with yours? Pelican cases?

Any help or guidance would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Jacob
jacobt
New here

Re: Rolleiflex Accessories - Help!

Postby Eddie Vaughan » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:10 pm

Welcome to the Rolleiflex world, Jacob, and also to this forum. I assume you have a Rolleiflex TLR. What model? I ask because, as you probably know, Rollei Werke produced different cases for different models. You will see a lot of them advertised for sale on eBay. They are usually expensive if in good condition, but, as you say, many are in worn condition and sometimes in pieces. Re-stitching is not expensive, however, and an old worn or broken case bought very cheaply can be restored by a leather worker for less than it would cost you to buy an original case in mint condition -- or, if you fancy a new case, a beautiful new Rolleiflex TLR case made by Luigi of Leicatime, (Have a look. A Google search will locate him easily).

Luigi's leather camera cases and straps are beautiful and highly desirable, but they are also extremely expensive. No problem if money is abundant. I considered buying a Luigi strap to replace a broken old Rolleiflex strap but baulked at the price of 210 Australian dollars (USD153; Euro 137). I decided instead to ask a local leather worker to make me a strap, and he made me a lovely strap of soft buffalo leather for the much lower price of AUD60 (USD45;Euro 41). I am delighted with it.

Personally, I find Rolleiflex TLR cases anything but convenient for photography. You have to remove the camera from the case (itself an awkward process if the leather is stiff) in order to change film or mount the camera on a tripod. The best designed cases are those with a detachable front, such as the one introduced with the Rolleiflex T, but they must still be removed if you need to change film or use a tripod. Unless I am transporting the camera somewhere in the car, or am storing it for a while, I seldom use a camera case. Nevertheless, I just bet you will drool when you have a look at Luigi's Rolleiflex cases. I always do.

Eddie Vaughan
Eddie Vaughan
Rolleiclub Senior Member

Re: Rolleiflex Accessories - Help!

Postby JanBoettcher » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:11 am

Some of the Sigma lens pouches made of black and/or green nylon will give a nice fit and 360° protection. Yes, you have to take the camera out for every shot and fight the zipper.

All other ERCs are (n)ever ready cases too and will offer less protection at a higher price. From a collector's point of view one will have to find the proper Rollei leather ERC for the particular model.
JanBoettcher
Rolleiclub Senior Member

Return to Rollei TLR