Click Here

Rolleicord _ back from the dead?

Discuss all you like about the Rolleiflex TLR and Rolleicord TLR

Rolleicord _ back from the dead?

Postby M_alice » Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:33 am

Hello All
I’m a new Rolleiflex/Rolleicord user. One can say, back to the roots, my first camera was TLR, Start.
I have found at the flea market old Rolleicord I (K3-511). It wasn’t expensive and I thought that maybe I can try to restore it.
Overall it’s in good condition. Shutter and diaphragm work fine. Well… long times seems to be much too long in reality but I hope it can be fixed
somehow. Optics are clear. The main problem is focusing hood which is badly bent and focusing screen which is almost useless. My question
is, if focusing hood/screen from other Rolleicord/Rolleiflex can be used to replace damaged items. If yes, what model(s) is possible donor.
As for the focusing scren alone, I hope I can order one from Rick Oleson, can’t ask him directly right now, “gone fishing”. Still it won’t solve hood problem.

I have also noticed another problem with film winding knob. Under "leather" cover there are two round holes and inside the knob there is spring (?).
From time to time (after rotating knob) loose end of that spring is protruding from one of those holes. To turn the knob I have to place loose end inside knob by force. I have no idea if the spring is broken (or something) and need to be replaced. Or maybe I can just cover those two holes… probably bad
idea, someone placed them there with a reason, for maintenance maybe.
Any help will be appreciated.
M_alice
PS. Since English is not my native language please forgive possible mistakes. I have tried to explain everything best I could.
PS2. Any source for cheap "crocodile" Rolleiflex straps?
M_alice
New here

Re: Rolleicord _ back from the dead?

Postby JanBoettcher » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:30 pm

Judging from my experience it does not really work to buther camera B in order to save/repair camera A.
In most cases the same parts are worn/broken or the donator is more expensive than the patient.
JanBoettcher
Rolleiclub Senior Member

Postby Eddie Vaughan » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:48 pm

If the main problems is the bent focusing hood, then try removing it and straightening it out. You should be able to remove it quite easily. You could then remove and clean the focusing screen once the hood is removed, although a Rick Oleson screen will likely be much brighter than the original screen in your camera.

If the bent hood cannot be straightened, and if you really need to replace it, then I would look for a cheap Rolleicord on eBay, though check with the seller on the condition of the hood before you bid.

The film advance knob could be easily fixed by a trusted camera repairer.

Good luck!

Eddie Vaughan
Eddie Vaughan
Rolleiclub Senior Member

Postby M_alice » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:41 am

Thank you for the answers. I have opened the top of the camera. I've discovered, that focusing screen is probably cheap replacement one, since it'made of plastic. Also I have noticed, that mirror is moving free from side to side. Either it's too small replacement mirror, or it's missing spring under the mirror. Was there a spring under mirror in this type of Rolleicord? It looks like there is no place for spring and it was only secured with screws. But maybe I'm wrong.
I know that from economic point of view restoration of this camera maybe not goood idea.
M_alice
New here

Return to Rollei TLR