Click Here

Rolleicord Vb Help

Discuss all you like about the Rolleiflex TLR and Rolleicord TLR

Rolleicord Vb Help

Postby Alan9940 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:47 am

Hello fellow Rollei TLR users,

New to these boards and a new Rollei TLR user seeking some help/advice...

Just today I received my new Rolleicord Vb Type 2 camera from Igor's Camera Exchange. The camera appears to be in exc++/mint- condition which is how Igor classified it. It's a very nice looking piece of kit!

That said, however, I noticed a couple of spots on the front taking element so I grabbed my lens cloth/cleaning solution and cleaned the lens the same way I've cleaned lenses for 40 years; that is, small circular movements using a light touch. The spots came off easily. However, as I was cleaning the element I noticed that it was spinning around under my finger! Wow. Wasn't expecting that!! When I was finished, I used the edge of my thumbnail to turn it in a clockwise direction to tighten it. At a point, it wouldn't turn anymore.

OK, I'm thinking lens elements, in general, aren't supposed to spin around in their mounts. Does anyone know if this is normal? Is this element supposed to move? Given that I seemed to be able to tighten it, do you think it's OK now? Should I return the camera? I guess I've already lost a wee bit of confidence in the quality of this unit.

I'm concerned that if the lens element moves this easily what's going to happen when I'm out hiking and the camera is subjected to various vibrations, etc. I'm envisioning soft/unsharp/somewhat out-of-focus pictures because I didn't know the element moved!

Any help would be greatly appreciated because I really don't want to send it back.

Best regards,
Alan
Alan9940
New here

Re: Rolleicord Vb Help

Postby Alan9940 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:07 am

OK, after a bit of research on the 'net I've come to learn that the front & rear taking lens elements can be unscrewed from the shutter. Therefore, I'm not as concerned that mine is loose. However, is there some special tool for tightening the front element? I watched a YouTube video which showed a guy using a spanner wrench, but I don't see any indentations in the ring that would allow use of this tool. Ideas?

Thank you.

Best regards,
Alan
Alan9940
New here

Return to Rollei TLR