[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 565: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 565: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Second Rollei 2.8 or 75mm • the International Rollei Club
Click Here

Second Rollei 2.8 or 75mm

Discuss all you like about the Rolleiflex TLR and Rolleicord TLR

Second Rollei 2.8 or 75mm

Postby seabreeze999 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:43 am

Hi All,

I am in love with my Rollieflex. 3.5 80mm. I am having trouble getting laser sharp images.... but I think I just need more time with it (hopefully) I did have the camera serviced right after purchase.

My question is is I were to go for a second body, would you think a 75mm or 2.8 would be preferable? I know the cost difference is greater for the 2.8. Just would like to hear different thoughts.

Cheers
Ed
My Gear:
Rollei Rolleiflex 3.5E Type 3 TLR
seabreeze999
New here

Re: Second Rollei 2.8 or 75mm

Postby DPurdy » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:52 am

I think you meant that you like your 3.5 75mm rather than 80mm. There is no right or wrong regarding whether you want 2 cameras with the same lens size or one of each 80mm and 75mm. If you only own 3.5 75mm lenses you can use the same accessories with both if they are both bayonet 2. However some of the75mm lenses use bayonet 1... like the Rollei T and the Rolleicord. If you decide to have both the 2.8 80mm and the 3.5 75mm they will use different sized accessories so you would have to invest in both if you use them. The important accessories are lens shades and maybe a Rolleinar close up lens. The 75mm lens is only 5 mm shorter than the 80mm lens so you would think the difference would be hardly noticeable but in fact they do have a very different feel from each other. At least to me the 75mm lens seems slightly wide angle and the perspective is more dynamic. When I used the 3.5F I found that the view in the finder was never quite what I expected it to be, it was always a bit wider. Now that I use the 80mm lenses I find the view in the finder is exactly what I expect to see. That is probably a personal thing. Not some universal truth.
DPurdy
Rolleiclub Senior Member

Postby seabreeze999 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:50 pm

Thank you - mine is listed as a Rolleiflex 3.5E Type 3 TLR
Bayonet II

So all 2.8 are 80mm? I didnt know that. And as well, none are Bay II?

Sorry for the newbie questions
My Gear:
Rollei Rolleiflex 3.5E Type 3 TLR
seabreeze999
New here

Postby Capt E » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:58 am

Generally Bay II accessories are harder to find than Bay III or Bay I . I own only an MX-EVS with a 75 3.5 Tessar and have been very happy with it. I like that it is lighter in weight. I have been considering getting a 2.8 at some time, but having to buy new accessories is one stopping point. I have a pretty complete set in Bay I that came with the camera (Hood, cap, Rolleinars, 9 filters, neck strap) Plus everything came in its original box with case. I figure it would cost me several hundred dollars to buy it all separately. In general, I think people dwell too much on the camera and not enough of simply learning to make good photographs with it. I have never thought that the differences between Tessar and Xenar, and Xenotar and Planar lenses to be terribly large, especially when exposures are made at f 4/5.6 and smaller apertures.
Capt E
Serious member

Postby Trythistwo » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:58 pm

Trythistwo
Serious member

Postby randy6 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:11 am

All rolleiflex cameras are sharp at least after a CLA. Maybe yours has just ground glass for focusing. My eyesight is not the best I added a rolleigrid to mine it made a big difference for me.
randy6
Serious member

Return to Rollei TLR