[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 565: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 565: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Rolleicord Vb vs Rolleiflex 3.5E vs Rolleiflex Automat IV • the International Rollei Club
Click Here

Rolleicord Vb vs Rolleiflex 3.5E vs Rolleiflex Automat IV

Discuss all you like about the Rolleiflex TLR and Rolleicord TLR

Rolleicord Vb vs Rolleiflex 3.5E vs Rolleiflex Automat IV

Postby Alex » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:23 am

Good afternoon Forum

I have a Rolleicord V mint purchased one month ago and i must confess i am quite surprised by the exquisite build quality, and image quality of the beast.

I thought i was spoiled by the quality of my leica gear ( have one M3, M4-p, M5, M6 ttl .85x, and one M7, two summicrons, one summiluxes, a couple of Noktons, the widest Heliars... some exotic ltm stuff from Komura, from Kyoei, ... some contax stuff, ... )

In MF this Rollei is my fifth venture, Have Bronica SQ ai, Agfa Super Isolette, and Super Ikonta BX Tessar and a Koni Omega 200.

So, just to tell that so far, my Rollei scores quite well against the "big Boys" in the Block...

Yet, i hear thar Rolleicord is not the Ultimate TLR, Rolleiflex is... I am not yet prepared to buy a modern 2.8 G, or the like... so, i come here for some piece of advice :

between those 3 models i have refered, which one would you experts quallify as the most "bad ass" in terms of Build quality and Image quality ?

Do the rolleiflex Automat IV or the Rolleiflex 3.5E have removable viewfinders... ?

Best regards,

Alexandre
Alex
New here

Re: Rolleicord Vb vs Rolleiflex 3.5E vs Rolleiflex Automat I

Postby Alex » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:27 pm

:roll: Bump*

cant someone help me decide ? plzzzz ... ?

Best Reg

Alex
Alex
New here

Postby JanBoettcher » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:33 pm

Technically speaking, the 3,5E will give you a better lens and most complex mechanical functions ("bad ass") (but no detachable WLF) and the Rolleicord Vb will give you the interchangeable viewfinder (but no better lens).

In the end, you will need a 2,8F with flat glass provision and 12/24 counter (most complex etc.). And just to make sure one with a Xenotar and another one with a Planar lens (best lens) - and a year of manufacture with real leather (not letherette).
JanBoettcher
Rolleiclub Senior Member

Postby DPurdy » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:25 am

Yes JanBoetcher is quite right and I have followed his advice myself in getting a 12/24 2.8F White Face with Xenotar... though unfortunate leatherette and also the 2.8FX with the Planar and real cow hide and HFT coatings so I am the baddest ass I can that I can be. He is also right in that of the cameras you mention the 3.5 E is the best, most advance and robust. The automat is good too but it will be older... though actually the 3.5 E is technically an automat. The Rolleicord is an economy model intended for amateurs. That said it is a good camera if in good condition and the lenses are great.

Dennis
DPurdy
Rolleiclub Senior Member

Postby Alex » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:40 pm

Thanks Buddies,

Now I can make a more educated choice.

Thinking about a Rolleicord Vb vs a Rolleiflex 3.5 E2, or E3...

Automats would have a muche greater mileage...

...but, by the same token, the Cord Vb would logically be in a more pristine condition... Since the Rolleiflexes almost surely saw heavy professional use...

Plus... Inamility to change wlf in 3.5E, means that Cord is more flexible...

...tough choice here... :shock:

Brgd

Alexandre
Alex
New here

Postby DPurdy » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:50 am

The 3.5 E2 and E3 have interchangeable finders too.
DPurdy
Rolleiclub Senior Member

Postby JanBoettcher » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:32 am

Mileage and condition will vary from offer to offer.

In case you can afford it and condition is OK, go for the Rolleiflex.
The advance crank and the 5 element lens will give you an advantage "all the time", but you will use the Vb with chimney finder or 90° prim on very special (rare) occasions only ...
JanBoettcher
Rolleiclub Senior Member

Postby eieikuean » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:45 pm

eieikuean
Highly respected member

Postby Capt E » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:27 am

The 3.5E version 3 EV is a pretty interesting choice. Interchangeable viewfinder with the option of the EV lock which I like. One thing though, it takes Bay II filters which are harder to find than Bay I and Bay III.
Capt E
Serious member

Return to Rollei TLR