Click Here

Help with unusual? Rolleiflex Automat...

Discuss all you like about the Rolleiflex TLR and Rolleicord TLR

Help with unusual? Rolleiflex Automat...

Postby SUG » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:39 am

Hey!

I have a Rolleiflex Automat i can not properly identify...

According to its serial number 829968 it should be an Automat Model 2 - K4B
But it does not have the Bay I ring around the viewing lens.
It has the plain 28.5mm push on mount on the viewing lens like the Model 1 - RF 111A

All other hallmarks of the K4B are there, like smaller film spool knobs
and a weight of ca. 916 grams (as opposed to the 850gr. of the Model 1).

The serial number of the Zeiss Tessar lens is 2.458390. According to Thiele's list it was made in 1939.

Could it be that Franke & Heidecke produced a batch of K4B cameras after 1939 with the viewing lens mount of the earlier model?
Any other ideas?

Thank you for your help!

PS. I am a long time follower of this site.
As this is my first post, allow my to very shortly introduce myself:
My name is Sven, i am a photographer based in Hamburg, Germany.
And i do collect vintage cameras and lenses....
I have a few Rolleiflex cameras i use from time to time - not for commercial work, but for my personal pleasure!
Attachments
rolleiflex
SUG
New here

Re: Help with unusual? Rolleiflex Automat...

Postby JanBoettcher » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:20 am

Sven,
the camera pictured is an Automat (K4) 2. Modell with a higher serial number than expected - aaaaannd it is a perfect reason to forget everything you ever heard about this serial number monkey business and serial number tables, except one thing: You have to forget it! (Das mit den Seriennummern is' Spökenkiekerei, es könnte von der Nummer her nicht nur eine Automat 3. Modell sondern auch eine "Standard neu" (K6) sein ...)

Let's meet February 2oth in the Hamburg Haus Eimsbüttel http://www.hamburger-fototage.de/index.htm
(I could bring along a Rollei Report 1, coffee and Erbsensuppe is not mandatory)

Jaap? Some day you will have to check camera weights against the Rollei Report (I think I even have a few English supplements to Report 1) or a kitchen scale, and it would be better to delete the serial number ranges given and leave this serial number business to other sites.
JanBoettcher
Rolleiclub Senior Member

Return to Rollei TLR