Click Here

Help to identify an older Rolleicord, Im a new member

Discuss all you like about the Rolleiflex TLR and Rolleicord TLR

Help to identify an older Rolleicord, Im a new member

Postby norvik1943 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:57 am

I received an older Rolleicord at XMAS from a very good friend. The camera had belonged to her deceased husband's mother. I do feel honored to be entrusted with it.

I am a Rollei TLR fan. I'd purchased a Rolleicord Vb with flash back in 1966 while in the Air Force. I was only an E-4 (A1C) and couldn't afford a Rolleiflex at the time. Couldn't afford the Cord either but I still bought it. I used it faithfully until it was stolen in a home burglary in 1991. The burglar did leave me the manuals and the flash unit.

I missed it so much that I shopped the online bid-crazy camera market (don't want to mention the name) and now have a Rolleiflex Automat and a Rolleicord Automat from the 1951-1952 time frames, along with the one I received for XMAS. Both Automats have the Rollekin 2 kits so I can enjoy them with easily developed 35mm film. Only the Pro shops develop 120 now locally at premium prices.

Now, with my "new" but mysterious Rolleicord joining the other two, I've overcome the sorrow of losing my Rolleicord Vb.

Info on the XMAS gift:

I checked the Rollei history listings at this forum and it resembles the Rolleicord IIB or Model 3 which was manufactured from Feb 1938 - Jan 1939 but has two obvious differences. Serial number falls within the range for the Feb 38 thru Jan 39 timeframe.

The serial number is 624902 from the Rollei nameplate. Taking lens is a Zeiss Triotar 3,5/74mm with SN 2129969. Finder lens is an Anastigmat 3,2/75mm with SN 576145. Both lenses were severely clouded but cleaned up beautifully. Too many years in a box I guess.

Tech details, ie speeds, aperture, shutter type match the description. However, this camera has a flash attachment connector in the lower right corner of the face plate, but no X/M switch. Also, the focus knob inset is plastic and labeled "Made in Germany" instead of being a leather insert.

The sportfinder follows the Rolleiflex system with mirror allowing view through the viewfinder rather than the open flip-up door in the cover like the later ones.

The camera doesn't appear to have been tampered with or updated; the screw heads behind the loose leather on the lens plate don't have any marks of later removals either.

I've taken a couple photos that I wanted to post along with this message but I haven't figured out how to do it yet. Clicking IMG just imbeds [Img] in my message field. I've enable popups too.

Does anyone have an idea just what model Rolleicord this might be?

Tom[/url]
norvik1943
New here

Return to Rollei TLR