Click Here

Two Rolleiflexes

Discuss all you like about the Rolleiflex TLR and Rolleicord TLR

Two Rolleiflexes

Postby andys93integra » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:51 pm

Hello all i just recently found these two Rolleiflexes in a box in my house. My great Uncle used them while he was a still photographer in California in the 50s and 60s. I assume he used these cameras a lot because the look like the have been used well. He shot the stills for such movies as The Great Escape, Some Like it Hot, The Ten Commandments, The Magnificent Seven, West Side Story, and many other that i would to find the list with all the movies on it.

The first camera is a 1959 Telle-Rolleiflex Type 1 with a Carl Zeiss Sonnar 135mm F4 lens. The second one is a 1962 Rolleiflex 2.8E3 Xenotar 80mm. I was not sure if the worked at the time ( a few weeks ago), and i didnt know a thing about them. So i found out what they were and basically everything about them. The crank, leaf shutter, and all the focusing, shutter and aperture dials seemed to work fine. So i got some film and put a roll in each of the cameras and snapped away, got the film developed and printed and i was shocked at how good of pictures they were.

First i was shocked because my Great Uncle died in '85 so that could be the last time they were used. But im thinking they were not used well before then, so i bet these cameras have not operated in about 30-35 years!

So my question is are these particular Rollei's rare? I found a site that goes over i think all Rollei models which is here, http://antiquecameras.net/rolleiflex.html

It says for the 80mm there were about 2025 made and for the 135mm there were about 6420 made. After 50 odd years i think there might not be a lot of these left.

Thanks, Andy
Andysphotos.zenfolio.com, c&c welcome
andys93integra
Respected member

Postby DPurdy » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:43 pm

Congratulations. Are you going to keep them or sell them? Ebay is a major Rollei market place and pretty much sets the values. the value depends a lot on the condition. The 2.8E3 is relatively rare but people still get them for user cameras. There are usually a few Tele Rolleis with the 135 Sonnar available on ebay at any point in time. It is a camera that is still made new though it has gone through some changes and a lens design change and it has become really expensive when new. I have seen several go on ebay for surprisingly little money, under 1500. The E3 in similar condition will probably command less than the Tele. They are great cameras and should be used. Rolleis gathering dust in a closet or attic is a waste. Lots of people want them and can't quite afford one. You are very lucky to have two.
Dennis
DPurdy
Rolleiclub Senior Member

Postby JanBoettcher » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:13 pm

I agree.

The 2,8E3 is a bit hard to get in case "you need one", but most people will prefer a 2,8F over the 2,8E3 anyway.
JanBoettcher
Rolleiclub Senior Member

Postby andys93integra » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:01 am

I don't think i will sell them i think they are just to cool, plus they have a lot of history behind them. The cameras are not mint condition, i mean everything works on both of them, but they could both use a little TLC. The only scratches i see are some minor ones on the 80mm viewing(top) lens. But other than that i don't think there is anything wrong with these cameras.

There are some pictures of the two Rollei's at my website which is Andysphotos.zenfolio.com, go to old cameras, and they are towards the end of the gallery.

I think once in a while i am gonna get some film and take some pictures with them, maybe some car shows. The MN state fair is coming up, ill get some film and take pics there. So no i am not going to keep them in a box anymore.

Thanks, Andy
Andysphotos.zenfolio.com, c&c welcome
andys93integra
Respected member

Re: Two Rolleiflexes

Postby LittleOddsEnds » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:05 am

Hey Andy, since your gonna keep those guys, take a moment and drop them at your local camera shop for a good CLA, if they've sat for 30-35 years their bound to need a good cleaning & lubrication. This ounce of preventive medicine will go along ways to give you a great Rollei experience.
LittleOddsEnds
New here

Return to Rollei TLR