Click Here

Rollei TLR and 220 film

Discuss all you like about the Rolleiflex TLR and Rolleicord TLR

Rollei TLR and 220 film

Postby Milos » Mon May 20, 2013 9:04 am

Hello all,

My first post, I just registered!
Can anyone let me know which later model Rolleiflex, if any, accepts 220 film, apart from 12/24 models that had thar silver button next to the rewind knob?

Thank you all in advance

Milos
Milos
Serious member

Postby DPurdy » Mon May 20, 2013 10:10 am

The 220 capability can be installed in many models by a Rollei repairman. There is the 12/24 switch that you mentioned but there is another 220 button that is just a small switch put up by the strap hanger on the camera. That can be installed in most models. You might contact Harry Fleenor at Oceanside Camera repair for information, about or for installation of the small 220 switch. I do know that the parts available for installing the 12/24 switch by the frame counter are very limited... to non existent.
DPurdy
Rolleiclub Senior Member

Postby Milos » Mon May 20, 2013 7:40 pm

Thank you, DPurdy, I am aware of these options. My question is whether some of the later models (GX and others ) have a 220 film option.
I am reluctant to buy an older type one because of the story that lenses may
have been exchanged from another lesser looking camera in order to improve the appearance of the camera being offered for sale.
Do you know, by any chance, how if at all that exchange can be spotted when examining the camera.
I have owned several 2.8F's before all in mint condition, none with the 220 film option, and all had either focusing or shutter issues.
Thank you for your help
Milos
Serious member

Postby DPurdy » Tue May 21, 2013 2:23 am

I have a late model 2.8F that Harry Fleenor installed the 12/24 switch in. You had to get a later model that was pre set in the factory for the installation. I also have an FX that has the same side plate as the F that was part of the pre installation. You need to ask Mr Fleenor these questions. I think though that he said there were no longer parts available for that 12/24 220 switch installation. Though I think he did say he has parts for the small switch. I don't know whether it can be installed in the newer camera.

As to cameras with switched lenses, I don't think it happens all that often but I have definitely seen some illogical lenses in cameras on ebay. One thing you can do is look at other cameras about the same age and compare the lens serial number. Throughout all those years of camera production the serial numbers on lenses did follow a linear progression. Interestingly now the FX lens has no serial number. I had a new FX still with the HFT Planar but it had no serial number. Then I lost the cover plate around the Planar lens and when I got a replacement sent from the factory, it did have a serial number. So obviously the number doesn't mean anything.

Another thing you can do if you have a camera in hand is to take off the front cover and see if the serial numbers match between taking lens and viewing lens. They are supposed to be matched sets, Though when I did that check on my late model 2.8F I found the numbers to be off by 3. So very very close but not an exact match. Still my camera focuses perfectly at all distances and is very sharp.

Again regarding the 220 capability, nothing says after you have made the 12th exposure that you have to wind the film all the way off. I have done it with my 2.8FX, I put in a 220 roll and took note of how far I had turned the film advance crank for the 12th exposure, then even though the advance didn't have an automatic stop I could still turn the crank that far forward and then back again to cock the shutter and it could keep shooting that way. Of course there is no frame counter after 12 so you have to keep track yourself. Also the frame advance lever needs to be taken a little farther with each advance. Definitely doable if you have only a rare need to shoot 220. It can also be done that way on the older cameras.
Dennis
DPurdy
Rolleiclub Senior Member

Postby Milos » Wed May 22, 2013 5:30 pm

Thank you, DPurdy, all the info is helpful. I found out yesterday that a 60th anniversary Rollei FX (1929-1989), the one with a gold plated nameplate
can actually accept both 120 and 220 films.
Now I only have to overcome the looks of the camera and convince people it's not jewelry but a tool, while I am shooting it....
Milos
Serious member

Postby DPurdy » Thu May 23, 2013 1:44 am

http://ffffound.com/image/249c5e1f9e492 ... 54c69a3a54

I would be careful you didn't get some miss information. The photo I give the link to shows the camera and it doesn't have a 220 button or frame counter. I have never heard of this capability on this camera.

Dennis
DPurdy
Rolleiclub Senior Member

Postby DPurdy » Thu May 23, 2013 1:51 am

http://www.rolleirepairs.com/220mod.html

Here is Harry Fleenor's information on the 220 modification. His list of cameras that can be modified with the little switch by the strap lug includes most all the Rolleis. As that list was made some time ago I don't know for sure if he can do it to an FX or GX, but as they are very similar to an F and as the switch merely resets the frame counter to 1, I think there might be a good chance it is possible. Harry Fleenor has some experience with the FX as he has worked on mine twice.

You will also note at the bottom of that page that he says the modification with the button and 12/24 frame counter is no longer available. That is because the parts don't exist anymore.
Dennis
DPurdy
Rolleiclub Senior Member

Postby DPurdy » Thu May 23, 2013 2:45 am

Actually I have been completely unable to find a 60th anniversary FX. I think you must have confused the 1929-1989 GX. It also has no 220 capability.

It is odd all these anniversary cameras. They celebrate different anniversaries so it gets confusing. I just found a very ugly 2.8FX that is made to celebrate 50 years of the F 1960 - 2010. The only thing that is sort of an F about it is the name plate font. Why they put that hideous orange hide on it is beyond me.

Dennis
DPurdy
Rolleiclub Senior Member

Postby Milos » Sat May 25, 2013 10:11 pm

Hi Dennis,

Yes it is confusing, but here's what I found:
Rolleiflex 2.8 GX Model 1, Edition 1989 - 1991
If you scroll down to card 47, it will show an
Rolleiflex 2.8 GX Model 1, Edition 1989 - 1991, and in the same card it says it uses 220 film also.

Best Regards

Milos
Milos
Serious member

Postby Milos » Sat May 25, 2013 10:14 pm

Forgot to include the link:

I guess this site won't allow links to itself, but anyway,
if you look at left hand menu, and click on GX variations, it will show you
card 47
Milos
Serious member

Postby DPurdy » Sat May 25, 2013 11:59 pm

#47 is actually the Helmut Newton and it says on that card 120/220 but I know that is a mistake. It also says it has the Schneider Xenotar which it doesn't.
#49 is the Gold Expression which is described as being an edition of 33 cameras with 120/220 and the auto film feeler. But looking at the picture you can see there is no 220 switch and I doubt it has the auto feeler.

I think there are some mistakes in the descriptions.

Just saying if you find one of those 33 cameras you had better verify it has a 220 switch before you buy it.

There is a Helmut Newton on ebay right now and it clearly has the Planar and no 220 switch.

Really I think you should write to Harry Fleenor:
harry@rolleirepairs.com
and ask him if a 220 button can be installed on the GX or FX
He is the guy would would do the job and so he can tell you.
DPurdy
Rolleiclub Senior Member

Postby Milos » Wed May 29, 2013 7:10 pm

Thank you Dennis, it has been very helpful! Thank you for your time!

Milos
Milos
Serious member

Return to Rollei TLR