Click Here

Cable Release MRC 120 and multiple exposures on SLX-2

My favourite tool of the trade was the Rolleiflex 6008. The Rolleiflex SLX , 6006 , 6008 and 6002 , including the 6008 AF , all those still very modern Rolleiflexes have their own home in the forum.

Cable Release MRC 120 and multiple exposures on SLX-2

Postby Rollei-Giorgio » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:31 pm

HI all and I'm happy to open my first discussion thread in the forum... I've recently purchased a Rolleiflex SLX-2, and I'm very happy I've stepped into the medium format realm and Rollei's world.

I'd like to idea to be able to use my camera for multiple exposures, and I was wondering whether any of you has experience with ME on an SLX/6000 series camera.

I've searched the web and found a costly and hyper-bulky multiple exposure unit, and a compelling Cable Release called 'MRC-120'. However, I'm not 100% sure this would work on an SLX-2, as the website that advertises it speaks of 6006. I searched online with no luck and asked the seller but he's not sure either. I could give it a shot and try, but would love to hear from you first.

Also, would you be so kind to brief me on how it would work? Again, inconsistent info out there: a page mentioned to simply set the switch on 'ME' and press 'start', adding that for the second and following exposures the mirror would be locked-up... If this is true, how do you compose (just through the spot viewfinder?) and how do you unlock the mirror?

Thanks in advance (also for having me here)...
Giorgio
Rollei-Giorgio
Serious member

Re: Cable Release MRC 120 and multiple exposures on SLX-2

Postby JanBoettcher » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:17 am

If you "need" to recompose between shots (via the SLR finder), you will need a Rolleiflex 6006 mod 2 or newer camera.

For the MRC 120 I'd have to dig one out ... probably you turn from ME to SE before you trigger the last time and the film will get transportet after the last shot within the series.

On the other hand, with the ME-1 you can do a lot of funny things ... multiple exposures with very short intervals etc..
JanBoettcher
Rolleiclub Senior Member

Postby Rollei-Giorgio » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:03 am

Thanks Jan, now things are getting much clearer. And yes, the ME1 looks like fun, I will post some of the outcomes if I'll end up purchasing it.

One last thing, just to make sure I understood your second sentence correctly: with "probably you turn from ME to SE..." you are referring in any case to the way the Cable Release would work on 6006-2 or newer camera only, or are you saying this would work on the SLX-2 too? (regardless whether the mirror stays locked up between the two, or more, shots, it wouldn't be a big deal)

Thanks again!
Giorgio
Rollei-Giorgio
Serious member

Postby JanBoettcher » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:51 am

For your last shot (in worst case add an additional shot with lens cap on) the "ME" feature needs to be turned off, with all ME-units (as far as I remember).

If the MRC 120 does work on the SLX or not? I'd have to find mine and try it or find a manual and (SHUDDER!) read it.
JanBoettcher
Rolleiclub Senior Member

Postby Rollei-Giorgio » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:02 pm

Thanks Jan,I look forward to hearing more after your shuddering then! :)
Rollei-Giorgio
Serious member

Postby JanBoettcher » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:25 am

I checked with one of my MRC 120 and one of my SLXs. The MRC 120 has two buttons, "mirror" and "start" plus a switch "SE"/"ME"

Switch to "SE":
"mirror" fires the mirror upgreen LED flashes once
"start" releases the shutter (no matter if the mirror was up or not) followed by film transport and instant morror return.

Switch to "ME" red LED next to "start" lights up:
"mirror" fires the mirror up, The green LED flashes once
"start" releases the shutter (no matter if the mirror was up or not before, it stays up after exposure)
press start more often to take more exposures
setting "SE"/"ME" back to "SE": Film gets transportet, mirror returns down (red LED goes off)

Hope everybody else's SLX & MRC 120 will work the same way ;-)
JanBoettcher
Rolleiclub Senior Member

Postby Rollei-Giorgio » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:45 am

Wonderful news Jan, you've been very helpful! Thanks a lot and look forward to buying one MRC120 then :)
Rollei-Giorgio
Serious member

Postby JanBoettcher » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:12 am

JanBoettcher
Rolleiclub Senior Member

Postby Rollei-Giorgio » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:48 am

Hehe, I was already bidding on your item three days before you posted this... I had noticed the seller's name with pleasure! Let's see how the auction will go and thanks again!
Rollei-Giorgio
Serious member

Return to Rolleiflex SLX and 6000 series