Click Here

Automatic lover

Post images of your Rollei / Rolleiflex Camera collection here.
Just bought in a well used worn out condition or as good as when new , all are welcome !
You can always add more to a previous post you made.
The Forum system takes care of showing off in a nice Gallery format.

Automatic lover

Postby ossainraggi » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:02 am

I was the most improbable person to fall in love whit a Rolleiflex. When I was a kid my first medium format camera was a Lubitel. I bought it because was very similar to an Argoflex witch a friend had and used to make me envious of his big contact prints (prints made at his father’s completely furnished darkroom). His old man had a Rollei and it was the guy’s pride and joy (that was the first time I saw one).

My father is a movie director and on his spare time he used to take photos too. He used a Leica M3 for 35 and a Yashica D for medium format. Then in Cuba it was easy to buy 120 films made by Foma or ORWO and have it processed by one of the many studios at La Habana. They even made the contact prints and the actual prints if you had patience to wait a couple weeks for the results.

Well, time passed by and what was a hobby became a career. At some point I started to hate the dinky stinky finder, the light leaks, and the fuzzy lens of the Lubitel`s. My hate was irrationally extended to the entire TLR world. Then I graduated to a Kiev 80 and a long row of medium format SLR (Pentacons, Kiev 6s, Hasselblats, and Bronicas).

Years later I met Said Basse (a.k.a: Bruno) a fellow pro photographer. He was a TLR buff and gave me a Yashicamat 124G as a birthday present. My birthday present collected dust in a cabinet a couple years until my Bronica S2A broke down at middle assignment. On despair I took the Yashicamat and loaded it by first time. The results were amazing, and I started looking in a different way to TLR cameras.

I fell in love whit TLR`s quietness, size, weight and optical qualities. And to fall in love whit a TLR has only a happy end when you marry your Rolleiflex beloved one or your Rolleiflex harem (if you are lucky). I had some Rollei affairs but only a true love. My beloved one is a Rolleiflex Automat 3.5A (MX). She was born in 1953 and sports a Jena Tessar lens whit a ten blades iris on it (GREAT bokeh). I firs met her when I was asked to inspect a Bronica etr kit that my friend Bruno wanted to buy (Bruno seems to be a sort of lucky charm in my Rollei affairs). When I opened the Bronica aluminium suitcase I discovered the Rollei wrapped in an old paper envelope among the etr lenses. She was dusty but in perfect working order. At last Bruno did not buy the Bronica but for my despair he made an offer to the seller for the Rollei and the guy looking disdainfully at it asked for just 40 USD. Bruno paid for it and tucked it in his pocket. Honestly speaking I felt as the one who lost his bride to other guy. I hated the guts of my friend.

Two months latter at my birthday party my good friend gave me a little brick like package. I don’t need to say what was in that package. Since then we are a happy couple like the ones in the fairy tales.
:lol:
ossainraggi
Highly respected member

Postby Toffle » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:07 am

Now, that's a good friend. :)

What a great story. May you and your beloved never part.

Cheers,
Tom
Toffle
Highly respected member

Return to My Rollei Collection