[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 565: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 565: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Distance guestimate with the 35 • the International Rollei Club
Click Here

Distance guestimate with the 35

All you like to ask or tell about the famous Rollei 35 : the orginal Rollei 35 made in Germany , the 35 series made in Singapore and the German Classic

Distance guestimate with the 35

Postby rolleiclubleader » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:23 pm

Often people ask "how can you set the right distance by guessing? " , well maybe it is because I grew up with cameras that had no accurate measurement system. But I'm rarely off, my long by gone teacher tought me a simple trick: Learn the legth of your arm, memorize that and use that as your close-by scale, half it or double it; Learn the span-width of both your arms, the spread of your fingers , the length of a firm pass or step, and after a while you'll be very accurate with measuring any critical distance. After about 3 - 4 meter ( 10-13 feet ) it is not critical anyway anymore. Set hyperfocal ( make maximum use of depth of field ) and very very rarely you will have an unsharp image with the great little 35.
J.
Last edited by rolleiclubleader on Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
rolleiclubleader
Site Admin

Postby DPurdy » Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:05 am

Seeing distance is definitely harder for some than others. I got pretty good at it by doing a lot of building. I know the look of 4 feet from working with plywood. And I am pretty good at 20 feet from working with lumber. I shoot nearly straight down a lot at stuff on the ground and I have learned the amount of distance depending on how bent over I am and how far out in front of me I shoot. And as you say, I can tell 3 feet because I can't quite reach it.
DPurdy
Rolleiclub Senior Member

Postby Lordcroker » Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:43 am

I used a similar technique when I owned my 35. I know my height and used to visualise myself lying down toward the subject. I then asked myself how many 'me's' are there between myself and the subject. Half a 'me' would be about 3 feet, One and a half 'me's 9 feet etc.
Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk.? Edward Weston
Lordcroker
Respected member

Postby mikedk » Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:14 am

Then, of course, you can pace; learn to gauge a yard or metre step. Handy if there are no obstacles between you and your subject. Difficult if there is a large hole in your way; can make a mess of your expensive camera kit! I used pacing with my old folders.
mikedk

Not so easy

Postby Peter » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:05 pm

Peter
Respected member

Postby alanwilder » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:39 am

alanwilder
Serious member

estimating distance

Postby psur45 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:15 am

psur45
Serious member

Postby JanBoettcher » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:00 pm

JanBoettcher
Rolleiclub Senior Member

Postby ossainraggi » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:47 am

An old italian guy named Leonardo da Vinci gives away some good tips on distance guesstimates on a book (used to be a best seller at XV century) named Codex Urbinensis. You can also use a pocket rangefinder too. Regards: Ossain :lol:
ossainraggi
Highly respected member

Return to Rollei 35 Classic