Click Here

Rolleiflex 3003 Film Magazine

Dicuss here the not in other forums listed Rollei cameras

Rolleiflex 3003 Film Magazine

Postby sometechguy » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:55 pm

I've been playing with a 3003 that has been idle for over 15 years, and after giving it a re-cell using Cadnicas, I find that it seems to work well without film. The rewind lever/cam seems to be binding with film loaded, and I've read about other Rollei models sometimes having the same issue that leads to binding and failure of the film to advance.

I have a question for anyone that has a 2000/3003 and am hoping that someone here can help. In addition to the cam binding, there is also a small amount of "play" between the base of the magazine and the mechanical components mounted on it (i.e., it wiggles a bit when holding the base firmly). Is this normal or should it be solidly attached?

I'm in the process of deciding whether to attack the problem of the sticking cam, but am unsure if the slight looseness of the upper assembly is something I also need to address.

Thanks in advance,

Dan
sometechguy
New here

Re: Rolleiflex 3003 Film Magazine

Postby JanBoettcher » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:27 pm

Hi Dan,
could you be a bit more elaborate on this?

The "fork" of the rewind mechnism should reach into the cartridge all the time, but with the crank "folded over" nothing should "bind".

The wiggle ... a little bit is normal, a lot is not ...
JanBoettcher
Rolleiclub Senior Member

Postby sometechguy » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:19 pm

Hello,

Thank you for the reply. The spindle for the film cartridge (which has the crank attached on the exterior end) is getting "stuck" and has too much resistance for the motor to advance the film. It took a little while for me to figure out what the cause was, but I finally confirmed it by simply inserting a roll of film, holding it in place and slowly pulling the film outward (without feeding it over the pressure plate or onto the take-up spindle). This was with the lever in the down and locked position. There is also a high mechanical resistance when turning the rewind lever clockwise (once it "catches"), whether there is film correctly loaded, loaded as described above, or not loaded at all.

In the forums on another site, I read where someone else had encountered the same issue with a Rollei of another model. Someone who appeared to be knowledgeable regarding the spindle/lever assembly replied that it sometimes gets "gummed up" where the spindle post feeds through, and is secured, to the frame causing said problem.

I was an electronic/mechanical technician for several years before moving on to complete my engineering degree, and have a great deal of experience in the repair of delicate mechanisms. However I have not been able to locate any mechanical diagrams or service information for the 2000/3003 film back/magazine. I'm reluctant to begin any type of disassembly to see if there is a worn part or if it is truly just an issue of dirt and perhaps a lubricant that has disintegrated over time, as I do not have a reference for reassembly and I can see a number of cams/gears in the narrow space between the plastic bottom and the metal frame of the magazine.

In any case, your information regarding the small amount of play being normal is most helpful and I sincerely thank you. I feared that the magazine might need to be immediately replaced, but now I'm satisfied that resistance of the film spindle is most likely the only issue that needs to be resolved. I may attempt some disassembly and will report my findings if successful, but I think that a tiny amount of appropriate lubricant may be all that is necessary. It's no fun at all trying to locate (or relocate!) those tiny springs that inevitably fly away when trying to repair something like this without appropriate documentation.

Thank you again,

Dan
sometechguy
New here

Postby JanBoettcher » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:01 pm

Dan,
we all know the flow chart of redneck engineering
[img]http://www.cyclelicio.us/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/flowchart.jpg[/img]

In this case ... there is a "Sprengring DIN 6799" (umh eh, "circlip" C-ring?) on the rewind axle, holding the fork.
Below the fork we have a conical spring and the axle goes "somewhere down there", so I'd remove the c-ring, holding the fork doen, take out fork and spring carefully, pull out the axle towards the crank and take a look.

Clean everything, maybe give 1/4 of a drop of oil or grease (well suited for plastics) and reassemble everything.

The shortcut would be a WD40-squirt - as one may still disassemble and clean things properly after that ;-)

Regarding the wiggle, holding may film back before telling the above: The wiggle is more less than more - and mine is gunked up a bit too ...

If everything else fails: These film backs don't cost a fortune anymore.
JanBoettcher
Rolleiclub Senior Member

Return to Rollei Various cameras